If looking for a quick dinner side dish or a special dish for a holiday. Macaroni cheese is a hands down favorite! It is also a dish that every home cook makes with their own family twist to this classic dish.
I love a baked macaroni and cheese, and usually only use two types of cheese- Colby and Colby jack. I find that both of these cheeses melt easily, but maintain a lot of flavor. Cheddar cheese is also a great choice! I grew up in a family that did not love cheese, so feel free to add as much cheese as you desire.
1 cup cheese / (approx.) 2 packages chopped into small chunks (I prefer Colby and Colby Jack)
2 cups elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dry mustard
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to rapid boil. Once boiling add 2 cups elbow macaroni. Cook according to package directions.
3. Slice cheese into small chunks
4. Lightly oil a 13x9 clear baking dish
5. Add cooked macaroni, cheese, butter, onion powder, dry mustard to baking dish.
6. Sprinkle to preference salt, pepper and paprika
7. Add milk until noodles just barely covered
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes
9. At the end of time, adjust heat to 425 degrees and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
TIP: When you lightly shake the dish, it should be solid – that is how you know it is done. It will also be lightly brown on top.
10. Cool and enjoy!