Try this classic wheat bran muffin recipe, made from scratch and ready in under an hour.
What is wheat bran? Wheat bran is the outer layer of wheat kernel and is often separated from the other 3 parts of the wheat kernel during processing. Plus wheat bran is an excellent source of fiber! For this recipe I used Bob’s Red Mill wheat bran. I had trouble finding it in stores, but you can also purchase from Amazon.
Bran muffins are an excellent choice for breakfast or brunch! It is a traditional recipe and fun fact- many early brand muffin recipes called for yeast, molasses and later fat. I used applesauce to make them moist. Enjoy and everything tastes better from scratch!
1 ½ cups wheat bran
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup 2% -milk
½ cup applesauce
1. Preheat over 375 degrees
2. Grease or use muffin cups to line a muffin pan
3. Mix wheat bran and milk in a bowl and set aside. Let rest for 10 minutes
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Mix brown sugar, vanilla, egg and applesauce in a separate bowl. Stir in wheat bran mixture.
6. Add flour mixture and stir until fully combined. Do not over beat.
7. Add to muffin pan
8. Bake 18-20 minutes until done
Makes 1 dozen muffins