Spring is always time to pull out traditional recipes for delicious fruit pies. One of our family favorites is the classic cherry pie.
Start with Mom's shortening pie crust! We have a great recipe for an easy, and flaky pie crust.
Tip: Once you have the pie crust resting in the refrigerator, that is a good time to start your pie filling.
Cherry Pie Filling Recipe--
1 16oz can pitted red tart cherries in water
1 cup sugar
¼ tsp almond extract
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon butter
1. Heat oven to 425
2. Prepare pastry
3. Drain cherries, but keep the juice in a separate bowl.
4. Add sugar, almond extract and corn starch to the drained cherry juice. Stir briskly to ensure ingredients are fully mixed.
5. Re-add the cherries to the bowl, and stir lightly. Be sure not to break up the cherries.
6. Now your cherries are ready to add to your pastry pie shell.
7. Before adding your top of the pie crust, dot about 1 tablespoon of butter.
8. Cover with top crust and seal and flute the edges of pie crusts. Add small slit on top crust with toothpick.
9. Bake until crust is brown, 35-40 minutes.
What is your favorite fruit pie?