Time for Strawberry Shortcake! Strawberries are in season!
Summer welcomes the in-season period for fresh strawberries. My family used to pick fresh strawberries at local farms, but I have not had the opportunity to do this in a while. Writing this story reminds me to revisit this family tradition. Have you picked strawberries lately?
For this recipe, I purchased the berries at the grocery store. They are very sweet this time of year!
Be sure to check out my whipped cream recipe to top off this delicious strawberry shortcake.
I like my strawberries very sweet, so keep that in mind when trying this recipe. Sometimes I do not even measure, and just cover the berries until I can barely see them. You can adjust according to your preference.
16oz quart strawberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar (or adjust as needed)
1. Add sugar to cut and sliced strawberries. I slice my strawberries in 1/4 inch slices cross wise and slice again into smaller pieces if needed.
2. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator 4 hours to overnight. The strawberries will soak in the strawberries and create their own juice.
I am on the quest to find the perfect shortcake recipe. I believe that the shortcake can make or break your strawberry shortcake. A shortcake can be a sweet cake or a biscuit, and contain your choice of fats such as shortening or butter. I like my berries very sweet, so I do not want the shortcake to overpower it.
I will be trying additional shortcake recipes this summer, but below is a recipe that is one of my favs from suburbia unwrapped. Give it a try, and feel free to share with me any other recipes on your Pinterest page that you love too!
Serving Size : 10 slices
3 tsp baking powder
2 cups white flour
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp granulated sugar
½ cup butter
¾ cup milk (2%)
1. Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and sugar) on low in mixing bowl.
2. Softly melt butter. Tip: just melt softly in microwave or stovetop, it should not be completely melted.
3. Add butter to mixer bowl and mix on medium low for a minute.
4. Add milk to mixer bowl and mix on medium speed to combine.
5. Add your shortbread mix to a greased 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.
6. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Let cool and serve.
Follow us on Pinterest for other additional recipes.