I love making candied yams for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. The recipe is very simple, but sooo delicious.
Sweet Potatoes (fresh)
1. Boil sweet potatoes in large stockpot with water until soft. Let cool and remove skin.
2. Slice peeled sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch size slices. You can adjust the size based on your preference. Place sliced sweet potatoes in a greased 9x13 pan.
3. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cover sweet potatoes with white sugar. You need a lot of sugar and you should not be able to see the sweet potatoes under the sugar.
4. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract over top of the sweet potatoes.
5. Add 1-2 tablespoon of butter thinly sliced on top of the sweet potatoes
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes until bubbly.
7. Cool slightly before serving.